Sunday 4 May 2014

Serbian generosity knows no bounds


All Ortlieb and Brooks saddles
I am now in Sofia and our troop of riders will be splitting up today.  The 5 days of cycling together have been wonderful.  We have wild camped three nights, been hosted spectacularly for one night and how have a hostel in Sofia.

Spot the Englishman
On the second day we rode as a group I managed to loose my handlebar bag which is possibly the worst thing that could happen.  It contains my wallet, phone, ipad, insurance details, Turkish visa, keys and passport.  I searched in a frenzy and realised I must have left it sitting on the street in a town 4 miles back.  My fellow riders kindly waited and watched my panniers as I raced back wondering what on earth I would do with nothing but l clothes and a tent.  I arrived and found my little red bag untouched, sitting where I had left it 40 minutes ago, nestled on the pavement.

Too much Schnapps
It is this kind of thing that slows down a group of 6 riders.  The are 6 times as many bikes to break and someone is always wanting to stop for wifi or just to sit in the sun.  One day through the Serbian hills we passed a hunting lodge and were beckoned in for schnapps and a brief attempt at communicating through hand waving.  After three shots we hit the road again and after a couple of miles were accosted by a farmer with more schnapps and wine.  Three shots later and we continued.  No more than a mile on the road and a family gave us bread, 8 fresh eggs, apples and water.  They even apologised for not having schnapps to give us.  the friendliness and generosity of Serbia has been unrivaled and I was sad to leave.

'Mild camping' as we call it
Sitting now in the hostel in Sofia I am preparing for the loneliness of my onward journey. Istanbul feels close now and I have bitter sweet feelings as the end draws in.

Two of my fellow travellers have blogs in english, in which I may feature.  Jason's and Matt's.






1 comment:

  1. This was memorable, very memorable..... except maybe the face burner, then we forgot everything....... Great Blog Mate

    Safe Riding and don't rush its 12c and Raining in Istanbul, the Rumour is Summer comes on Monday..........

    ReplyDelete